• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

2D scenes using 3D objects?

Pierrou

Hi,
I'm beginning to think about my next project and I feel like setting up some simple naive and cute graphics a bit like those in Loco Roco for example
1570993935066.png

I guess I could be using some flexible very simple and flat (no shading/lighting) 3D objects made with Blender (never used it before) and then animate/deform them on a strictly 2D plane. The game I intend to do is basically a reading game so animations would mostly be needed for non interactive cut scenes (intro, outro, small animation when one wins...). I could also use Blender to pre-render those animations and save the files as frames/spritesheets which seems much simpler. Is it easy/doable to mix both 2D and 3D?
Would there be a way to use such simple 3D objects (one or two simple characters, some background elements) using CerberusX or is the 100% 2D path safer and easier at the moment? Of course it should run on low-end PCs too.
Thanks !

I suppose it depends on what sort of 'deformation' you're thinking about and how much modelling you want to do if going the 3d route. That big yellow character in your image looks like it's going to bounce and radically change shape - I think it would take some work to model that in 3d and then output the animation to frames.

What about suing something like https://www.pencil2d.org/ - might make life a lot easier.

Thanks that pencil2d looks like what I think I'm looking for!
NB : there is a 2D animation module in blender which looks quite straightforward too but I haven't tried to use it yet.
[EDIT : tried Pencil2d for a few minutes, what can it do that InkScape doesn't, I have yet to figure out, but it looks ok for simple graphics like what I'm thinking of... ]

Last edited:
Did you look into DragonBones? I have to admit that I didn't try it so far, but it looks quite promising.
For now there are no bindings for the api in CX, but you could create sprite atlases from there and use them.

Looks promising too and apparently yes one can pack the sprites into an atlas which then can be used quite easily in CerberusX (last time I did I used some Pyro module to do so).
(I must admit I haven't searched for anything yet tool-wise)

If you do decide to look into 3D you might find this a bit less intimidating (and less powerful) than Blender http://anim8or.com/
Thanks that pencil2d looks like what I think I'm looking for!
NB : there is a 2D animation module in blender which looks quite straightforward too but I haven't tried to use it yet.
[EDIT : tried Pencil2d for a few minutes, what can it do that InkScape doesn't, I have yet to figure out, but it looks ok for simple graphics like what I'm thinking of... ]
Onion-skinning is the obvious thing

Loco Roco uses SVG graphics from the looks of it, and deforms the objects based on mesh splines. Someone made an SVG module once for monkey, but it's been a while. I've used Inkscape, it's tricky to figure out at first, but the keyboard shortcuts help.

Wow good job! I'm trying to do something similar with Blender and Cerberus-X now.

This looks great!

Back
Top Bottom