Android C++/NDK based target

nullterm

Something I've wanted for a long time in MX, a target that compiles to C++ and NDK instead of Java. So Android apps can match the performance of iOS. I've had a few projects shelved because when I looked at the Android version it was only 10fps compared to 60fps on iOS.

MikeHart

Administrator
Wow, what a difference. That definitely calls for an NDK target. We will see what can be done there. Mark already had something for this started a while ago.

nullterm

I have a Python based build system that I use to build C++ apps for Android with NDK. I think it uses Ant (and Python), but if you need a breakdown of all the various configuration files I needed to setup if it might help.

After asking openly and directly to Mark for months and getting zero response, as Mark was entirely in on Monkey 2, I got frustrated and backburnered MX because Android was a deadend for the type of apps I was building. So I went back to C++ and sorted out a simple command line based system to build apps easily.

If CX takes up the reins and adds an NDK based target, I'll do backflips because I have projects I'd love to resurrect without porting to C++.

MikeHart

Administrator
We will look into this, that is all I can say. Your request is an important one so be assured that we take it at heart.

Martin

CX Code Contributor
3rd Party Module Dev
Tutorial Author
Personally I think that a NDK target is indeed needed.

muruba

CX Code Contributor
3rd Party Module Dev
Tutorial Author
Patreon Silver
With all respect is it the cpu cycles that increase gfx performance? I remember libgdx author compared libgdx (java) to smfl (c++)

http://www.badlogicgames.com/wordpress/?p=1492

I also found sdl was very buggy on my s6 with black screens and losing context and basically unusable. Isnt it better to stick with what works and is mature enough to be of production commercial quality. Not many frameworks out there can say they are.

Top Bottom