Hands up, who has a Windows 11 compatible system?

MikeHart

Administrator
Wow, the system requirements for Windows 11 are beyond my systems specs. I would need at least a new CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) and I am not sure if my Mainboard will be supported.
I guess the times when Windows ran on even old dogs are over. Maybe my next machine will be Linux only? I dunno.

dawlane

CX Code Contributor
According to the compatibility tool, that they decided remove due to Microsoft getting such a backlash on the number a machines only a couple of years old that cannot run it. The ASUS Ryzen 7 3700u laptop I bought around a year ago is the only thing I have that will run it.

ddabrahim

Tutorial Author
I guess the times when Windows ran on even old dogs are over.
Isn't that the minimum system requirements only to get a free upgrade from Windows 10 to 11? My understanding is that you be able to still install it on anything and it is up to the hardware manufacturer to provide a driver but you have to get a license for Win 11 if your machine does not meet to 'minimum system requirements' to get a free upgrade.

This is the minimum requirements to run Windows 11:
1GHz 2-core processor, 4GB memory, 64GB of storage, DX12 compatible graphics. it is sounds pretty low to me and It is up to the GPU manufacturers to provide a DX12 compatible driver. So, I think as long there will be cheap office PC's running Windows 11, we have nothing to worry about. We just don't get a free upgrade.

You can find more info here with a link to a list of all processors Windows 11 going to be compatible with (spoiler : intel Atom is on the list):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

MikeHart

Administrator
Your CPU has to support certain features. TPM 2.0, etc.
When released, they are ruling out Ryzen Zen1 gen CPUs and any Intel CPUs from generation 7 and lower.
The leaked version of Win11 runs on lower end CPUs but that will change once it is out. If you have the leaked beta installed, then you are stuck with it if your CPU and Motherboard is not supported.

My CPU, Ryzen 5 2400G isn't on the list.

MikeHart

Administrator
No the list is fine. Do you see any Ryzen 1600 or lower, do you see any I7-4770k or so on it? No.
There are low end chips that meet the requirements, but a lot higher ones don't not that they could but MS simply drew a line in the market. These are supported, these not.

Well that is what a lot of tech YTers post these days.

MikeHart

Administrator
MS did the Apple move here. That saying from MS "Windows 10 will be the last Windows OS on your system" kinda makes sense now :D

Pierrou

From what I undersand, my modest i3-6006U-driven laptop seems to be Win11 ready?!

Top Bottom