• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

IDE - What are you missing?

MikeHart

Administrator
Hi folks,

Martin and I think that we either need to replace Ted with a more powerful IDE or enhance it.
I know some of you guys love Jungle but like MX, it looks like development has stopped and its creator doesn't respond to emails.

So I would like to know what exactly do you need. Please don't answer "I need everything jungle has" cause I don't know this tool. A short list of features that you can't live without them would be cool.

Thank you
Michael

I guess I am happy with Mollusk for now... I have a copy of Jungle IDE but it stopped updating for whatever reason and started crashing, thus rendering itself unusable... I am wondering if something like Eclipse could be easily modified to support CX? I tried to understand Eclipse plugin development system some time ago but gave up as it was totally confusing for me... However Eclipse is used for multiple languages (using it myself for C++ as Cevelop) PHP, JavaScript, LISP, Scala, Python, etc...

I love to use Jungle Ide and I currently use it. I have no problems with an older Monkey Version to develop my new prototype. With cerberus some features not working. I would love to see a new Ide, if there will be no further updates for jungle :=)

A short list of what I really need:

- Working in a solution ( Split the code to different views to see more than only one sourcefile )
- Code Suggestion / Auto Completition
- "Code Jumping" , not sure how it is called. ( Ctrl + Left Mouseclick ; IF I push on a variable, function I will jump to the definition in the sourcecode )
- Hide a codeblock to get a better overview

The question here is :
- We have only Martin coding to solve problems that exist in Monkey for years :/ (like grade to android build and adjust admob layer)

I would like corrections to continue or the insertion of new features such as:
- Google Play service to save scores
- Facebook layer
- inclusion of banners with admob videos

Over time I learned to deal with IDE issues :) and this does not bother me so much :)

it's my 2 cents about this question ;)

Thanks
Lugato

BTW I reached Ryan, the creator of the great Mollusk IDE and he said he will support cerberus in the next soon upcoming version. :)

@Lugato regarding that the community has only Martin to do the coding... you are wrong.

I sense frustration in your post. Why?

Mollusk doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Jungle, but it's a solid IDE. I'm quite happy with it.

Not that it's very important, but since you asked, here it is :)

What I like in Jungle vs. other Monkey IDEs:
  1. Better, more intelligent code folding (although not perfect).
  2. Jump to definition (ability do quickly jump to declaration of field, method, variable, etc.)
  3. Flexible layout (open multiple files in tiled layout, reposition console and project view the way you want, even take some elements into a separate window on a second monitor).
  4. Project-wide search and replace.
  5. Basic refactoring (rename a variable or field in all its instances at once).
  6. Foldable regions (Mollusk has it too).
  7. Anything marked as 'note: appears in the list of notes (very convenient for TODOs and FIXMEs).
  8. Very good, customizable syntax highlighting (Mollusk comes close in that regard).
All these are little luxuries, but some people get accustomed to conveniences ;)

Last edited:
I think work on Monkey should be the highest priority!
The current IDE is fine for me.

Monkey's dead - long live Cerberus! :rolleyes:

Just some heads up, Martin got word from Ryan, the creator of Mollusk. He is almost done with the CX support of Mollusk and will sent Martin a beta soon to test.

As an extension to SecondGear's list, here is my wish list for the IDE (in the order of their importance):
- allow defining several pathes for sub-modules (like -modpath for transcc) which is considered for editing (autocompletion as well as for refactoring) and compiling (JungleIDE supports only 1 additional path :()
- debugging support (set a breakpoint, check/set a variable value, step in/over/single through code)
- search for "used by" or similar

For monkey i have wishes too (lower importance to me):
- enhance transcc keeping unused functions/variables etc. (in case deploying a dll with exported functions f.e.)

- java code with exceptions should be properly generated (not catched exceptions shall be part of function 'throws ...')

Hi Hans, welcome on board.

- enhance transcc keeping unused functions/variables etc. (in case deploying a dll with exported functions f.e.)

imho you could set a reflection on the file to have everything inside the exported code.

- java code with exceptions should be properly generated (not catched exceptions shall be part of function 'throws ...')

Did you ment that the native JAVA code which ships with CX should have better execption handling? If not, please clarify.

- allow defining several pathes for sub-modules (like -modpath for transcc) which is considered for editing (autocompletion as well as for refactoring) and compiling (JungleIDE supports only 1 additional path :()

Imho an ide should read the modpath and consider THESE paths for dealing with its functionalities. Adding to that, all the files in the current project. Any other path is irrelevant to CX.

Speaking of IDEs. Remember this one?
Yes, I quite liked it but I had some crashes and others mentioned that is was very buggy. Why I don't know. Sadly I think its development has also stopped.

Hey, just saw that it is open source on GitHub. :D

Back
Top Bottom