'Moto' games?

SLotman

3rd Party Module Dev
I always wondered how would one go to make a game like this in Monkey / Cerberus. I think one would use Box2D for collisions, but I'm not sure how to generate a dynamic, infinite terrain with it. And I'll admit, I have no idea how to do the graphical part - it could be a tilemap, but there is got to be a easier way than that...

So you guys know something about it? Some tutorial or video to give some insights? I don't even know what this 'genre' is called, so I don't even have a clue on how to search for information on it.

Random example game I found on Youtube:

Paul59

CX Code Contributor
I think you'd just describe it as a fancy infinite runner and there are lots of tutorials on the net about how to handle the terrain side of things.

That said whenever I see a game like this I think of Kickstart/Kickstart II. I got most of the way through a remake of that in Blitz Basic around 2001 before giving up. Here's a screenshot of my work in progress. I had the wheels, rider and frame as separate bitmaps that could be bounced around rather than proper physics and it worked pretty well.

Attachments

• 7261406.png
    7261406.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 23

SLotman

3rd Party Module Dev
And as soon as I posted this, I found this video.

Doesn't answer all the questions, but it is a start. And I particularly like it that it doesn't use Box2D for anything! :)

Top Bottom