• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

DevLog Team DevLog Phil7- Update 2023-05-29

Phil7

CX Code Contributor
3rd Party Tool Dev
Hi everyone,

it's been some time since my last DevLog update but I will try to post more often now. As mentioned in @MikeHart's DevLog it could be possible to post once a month, so now at the end of May it seems to be the right time to start.
  • As you have seen in the latest release we now have a iOS_Metal target that makes use of the MetalAngle framework to use Apple's native rendering layer called Metal. It seems to improve performance and we didn't see any issues with it so far. There is obviously still a macOS_Metal desktop counterpart missing.
  • I worked on the Android target to make it ready for Api level 33 (Android 13), which will be mandatory for new releases and updates on GooglePlay starting August 31, 2023. I also added a default Cerberus icon to the app template.
For the upcoming months I have some major projects on my plate and I try to get them to a usable state one after one in the order they are listed here:
  • Finish an extension to mojo2.graphics called DefaultCanvas that enables to write code similar to mojo(1) for easier ports from mojo to mojo2 and for shorter and easier to grasp beginner examples.
  • Visual Studio Code (VSCode) extension to support the Cerberus X language
  • New Cerberus Documentation to replace the current documentation
  • New Examples and Showcase code to replace or alter the existing ones
  • macOS Metal desktop target
There will definitely be some bug fixing in between, but this is my roadmap so far. @MikeHart I hope I didn't forget anything substantial!?
If there are questions or remarks about the order or the items itself, just go ahead!

macOS Metal desktop target
SDL2 and Metal-CPP would be my choice for that. Using SDL2 with SDL2-mixer would kill three birds with one stone; no need for OpenAL, SDL2 stuff can be statically linked into one binary and the licence is zlib. This makes the licencing a little more simpler for the end users.

I'm currently working on making changes to how transcc deals with desktop targets.
The plan is to extend the builder class and add methods that would be common to all desktop targets. It will also generate a file that contains the necessary variables that gets imported by the main project. This will make it so that the resulting build can just be loaded directly into xcode/Visual Studio/Code editor for profiling, etc.

Great stuff! I have a question, when Visual Studio Code addon is finished, do we still need TED?

Also maybe I can help out providiing one or two good-quality exmples.

Avoid SDL2 like the plauge becuase it is not good for graphics. It IS good for touch (it handles macbook touchpads like touchscreens i love that, and it has sound but sound API's are availble everywhere. This was Monkey2s worst mistake.

I have a question, when Visual Studio Code addon is finished, do we still need TED?
I hope not. @dawlane went through some adventures to get TED working again and now it is available for some time again, but in the long run it would be great to use VSCode only and be able to use some of the functionality that comes with it.

SDL2 and Metal-CPP would be my choice for that.
My first try will be to do it like for iOS and try to use MetalAngle on top of glfw. If this works it should be a simpler task and we could avoid introducing another system to the existing ones.

Some how I think Valve would disagree with you on that.
I don't know what that is I'm afriad but I tell you this, despite the fact that they are so many people working on that project and despite many many these years that has passed since they started doing it, people has beein asking again an again the same question them to fix things and they have not changed,. I have been one of them and yes it is subjective of course what is good enough graphics, but to me it would be a dealbreaker. I don't even understand how it can exist. It is the Python of geaphics libraries!

It might be the case that they have done a fix this in how it interreacts with Metal in particular the last year but i doubt that. I would have to make extensive tests before having a single drop of faith that they have changed.

No I do not know Valve Software is. Can you stop now?

Visual Studio Code (VSCode) extension to support the Cerberus X language
Sorry I was unreachable for so long. Personal stuff. Anyways, I'll update the dependencies of the VSCode extension I once started and get it running again and then open source the code. I hope this will help you in any way.

Hey @Holzchopf,
no problem! I already started to work on my own VSCode extension and I had some looks at your code to get some inspiration. My approach is a bit different as I try to emulate what is Ted supporting now and adding to that I use trans in a cx language server to get some elaborate functionality.

Ok, good. Absolutely understandable, as my extension started out primarily as experiment, whether I could integrate the documentation in VSCode, getting the whole thing to build/run/debug wasn't my initial goal. It totally makes sense to start over.

The repo was already MIT licensed and publicly available ☺️ lol I don't know why I assumed it wasn't. I just finished updating all dependencies, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom