• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

What are you doing right now?

Wingnut

3rd Party Module Dev
Tutorial Author
I'm curious what you all are programming right now.. and what your focus are at?

I'm currently using Cerberus as my main language (together with TypeScript, Rust and some other languages I use).

* Web/HTML5 platform.. started to tinker with CX-addons to try to allow HTML5 to get all kinds of I/O using JavaScript, as an old webdesigner I feel right at home here but it's a bit slow as I don't have the right equipment yet. Right now I'm looking into https://github.com/nathankellenicki/node-poweredup.

* Android platform.. learning this platform have become a part of my main goals now; I need to improve my skills on Android game development, so having lots of fun but of course there's a lot to learn. Every now and then you get tired but I'm trying to keep it up.

* ios platform.. I don't have any but I would love to do learn more about iOS after Android. The new iPads has amazing screens and sound-capabilities. The musician in me have some kind of plan to make some instrument apps. We'll see how that goes, nothing that I will be able to do now anyways.

* macOS.. I use this on my main machine together with Linux. macOS and ParrotOS (below are both very nice systems, Parrot being totally free albeit a bit tricky to get Android Studio going with Cerberus.. this is actually my main reason why I still use macOS more than Parrot bc I need to have Android Studio + Cerberus working togther. Linux compiles sourcecode pretty twice as fast compared to macOS for desktop-platform so I work a lot there when trying out things. In macOS i use HTML5 for trying non-API specific code as it takes about 1 sec to compile.

* Windows is something I don't have atm and I'm not even sure how good Windows11 are these days but so far It's just a matter about the need of Visual Studio and favorite apps. I emulate Win7 for most favorite apps that I can't find elsewhere.

* ParrotOS (Debian-based Linux) runs nicely both on PC/Mac and even Raspberry Pi and this is my preferred Linux btw! I actually have hope to get Cerberus to run on the Pi this way.

Right now I'm programming a vector animation kind of application because I needed one when I develop games.
Game motion is something I find the whole web is lacking a lot of information about. How to design how enemies move? What kind of
movement is interesting and "what feels stiff and boring?", "How can I build up motion?" That kind of thing.. I kind of like doing it but it is a lot of work.

Here's my desktop setup where I work , it's simple but I like it :

Time to get back to work I guess, but I would love to see what you are doing, feel free to post something!

Last edited:
good luck Jimmy! unfortunately with a full time job and a family i have minutes to spare but am trying to help my nephew who is and artist
develop a small beatem up like scott pilgrim. though ive learned a lot i still have a lot to learn, would love to get into networking. love coding in cx and definitely something i dont want to give up. lets see what the future brings.

Ok, finally I have some time for things. Having off at my day job and AppLovin, I can spend my free time (after family) on CX and stuff. Over the next months I will work on that in this order:
  1. Admob for IOS (super high priority)
  2. IAP for Android (super high priority)
  3. Create a new release (super high priority)

4. Platforum independant/CX powered UI Module (which could be the base for more CX tools)
These things I need to work on also, but maybe not in that order
  1. Update TED or create a new IDE
  2. Make CX Metal compatible
  3. New website and maybe new forum
The plan for a game is still there. But CX is more important, so I NEED to stick to it and stop watching YT videos :cool:

I've been working on a platformer game inspired by Garry's mod, but due to lack of inspiration and motivation and bugs and limitations I decided in 2022 I get to the bottom of everything and I'll do what I was trying to avoid for years and going to learn C and C++. No games and projects planned for this year just study, pure coding until I can fluently speak and read binary code like a pro. I begin with C and then later I move on to C++ maybe.

Any recommendation for any good books, tutorials for beginners?
I am currently learning on edX, Alison and Sololearn and looking for some books in addition.

Any recommendation for any good books, tutorials for beginners?
Places to checkout.

For books look for Ivor Horton's Beginning C, Beginning C++.
I've an old copy of these the books. The criticism I have with Norton's books, is that unless you are using the Visual Studio series of these books, there's no mention of using or installing of any compiler or a simple editor. And to learn C or C++ you need to understand the compiler and build process.

For a very simple Windows IDE, checkout Dev-C++.
Alternatively you can install MinGW, Visual Studio code and use the built-in command line terminal.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I'm going to check them out.
Unfortunately I am on macOS.
For learning there is actually a free IDE from Harvard University for their CS50 course that runs in your browser in the cloud, it is pretty nice to get started: https://ide.cs50.io

But I wanted to try a real dev environment
I was considering CodeLite but I get a warning for their website is not secure. I don't usually take this risk.
Then I was considering Code::Blocks but due to lack of developers the latest version is not available for macOS and the only version available is 32bit which is no longer supported since macOS 11 I think.

At the moment I have installed a 30 days trial of CLion from JetBrains. I am impressed how light weight it is compared to Xcode and Visual Studio for Windows and also support QT and Web development. Pretty good.
Not sure what am I going to do after the 30 days trial expire. I am going to consider VSCode but if I get inspired to actually attempt to make something in C/C++ maybe I am going to pay for CLion. I really appreciate how smooth and light weight it is, and the fact it is just working out of the box 😁

For books look for Ivor Horton's Beginning C, Beginning C++.

For Beginning C, I can find 2 editions. 2007 by Ivor Horton and 2020 by German Gonzales-Morris and Ivor Horton. Maybe goes without saying to get the more recent version but would be not the first time if the old edition was better. Any idea which one to get? Both cost the exact same in digital form, in paperback the 2007 edition intend to be more expensive for some reason.

Edit: I have downloaded a sample of both, they don't seems to be that different, most of the code samples and lessons are the same. So, unless there is any reason not to, I think I'm going to get the latest 2020 version.

The criticism I have with Norton's books, is that unless you are using the Visual Studio series of these books, there's no mention of using or installing of any compiler or a simple editor. And to learn C or C++ you need to understand the compiler and build process.

I think I am already setup for C and C++ development, I have make, gcc, IDE and can build and run from also the terminal. Hope it is enough and there is not a lot of Windows and Visual Studio specific lessons. I would actually prefer if it was focusing on the terminal so then it works everywhere.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Then I was considering Code::Blocks
Avoid it. At one point it was my go to IDE, but now it's just too buggy to work with. The current Windows and Linux releases have actually got one of the main features disabled because it crashes the application at randowm.
I am going to pay for CLion
Remember it's a subscription service. So Unless you intend to go full into C/C++ fully it's not worth it.
Plus CLion has also known to have it's problems too. At least with it being a paid product, updates and fixes should be regular.
I was considering CodeLite but I get a warning for their website is not secure.
Sound like that is an issues with web security certificates. I vaguely remember Apple throwing a spanner in the machinery for that. Something about not excepting long term SSL/TLS certificates anymore.

For Beginning C, I can find 2 editions. 2007 by Ivor Horton and 2020 by German Gonzales-Morris and Ivor Horton. Maybe goes without saying to get the more recent version but would be not the first time if the old edition was better. Any idea which one to get? Both cost the exact same in digital form, in paperback the 2007 edition intend to be more expensive for some reason.
When it comes to learning programming. I would be looking at a more recent edition, because the old editions will not cover the more up to date standards of that language. I assume that the one authored by German Gonzales-Morris and Ivor Horton is the one titled "Beginning C: From Beginner to Pro, Sixth edition" published by Apress. If so, then I would probably go for that.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your help.

I know CLion is subscription based and got to pay monthly or annually. Probably I am going to try some free IDE's after the trial expire but the way I think about this, I have actually spent lot of money on games, movies, software in the past that I never going to use again. So if I pay for 1 year and then I no longer use it and lose it, going to be not that much different actually.

In general I also support the idea of a subscription model for dev tools because in general you always want the most up to date dev tools but the business model of developing a software and giving away for a one time fee and continue to provide free updates forever is just not sustainable for individuals and small businesses. So instead of paying for CLion1, 2, 3 and own all the old versions that I never going to use ever again, I am actually okay with subscription and losing the product if I no longer need it. Doesn't make a lot of difference really.

I really do hope I am going to get deep in to C/C++ though, well not under 30 days of course but eventually.

Thanks.

Here I just made a small 'Wordle' clone, in Brazilian Portuguese (with a different name, of course). Thanks to Cerberus I could publish it on Google Play with no issues :)

I'm also working on something that I can't actually say what it is, and has no relation to Cerberus. But I'm doing it using Node and Javascript and its a very fun combination to work on :)

Javascript has come a very long way since its beginnings and now you can basically build anything with it :)

Nice! and nice to hear you code Node too! I'm into Node and Deno myself. and yes JavaScript is amazing now! I use Cerberus to create JS and then even though I just love to code in pure JS as well. CX creates incredibly descent JavaScript code.

Back
Top Bottom