• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Your success story with your game or app?

MikeHart

Administrator
Hi folks,

we all would like to read how successful your apps and games are. Are you making any money with them? What do you use (payed, IAP, ads)? Where do you publish? What are your numbers? Care to share?

The community and I would love to read your story! Please share some insight.

Cheers
Michael

Not a success story at all, hardly a story at all :)
I code stuff for speech therapists, sometimes free, sometimes commercial apps. My first two games were not written in Monkey/Cerberus but in BlitzMax, which is very close. I got a deal with the main French publisher in that field, probably not the greatest possible, getting 5000€ at the time of the deal + 10% off sales. I never tried to count how many copies were sold, a few thousands I think (out of 20000 speech therapists), it's not my job at all so I used the money to go on vacation, buy a banjo, beer, things like that.
My upcoming game was refused by the publisher (and the other publishers I contacted didn't bother to answer) so I have to go indie and start a small business, which i hate somehow but what else can I do?
At least I'll have control on everything and I guess one doesn't need to send flyers to speech therapists by mail and things like that anymore to let people know about the app, it's kind of a niche market involving not too many people, reaching them should be possible...?

Simon Read or Ryan Clark would have more interesting stories to tell but they are far away now. From MonkeyX to making an official Zelda game :cool:

Last edited:
Well I have some stories, even though not only success...

Back in 2012 I released a Battleship app (yes, that pen and paper game) for Android and iOS and sold it for about $1,99. Actually I made about $10k over the years. For such a simple thing quite amazing.

After making 8 simple games, my 9th one was quite a success: My submarine simulation released in Dec 2016. Even though it was made with Unity I have to admit. The turnover over the years was about $100k but then there is minus 30% of the stores, then minus VAT, divided by two (my mate got half of it) and then on top the tax. So net after tax it was around $20k then for me. Not that bad but nothing to make a living from.

Currently I work on my next game, a naval sim in the modern era and I just quit my job to do the jump into the cold water as it will be quite complex and I need all the time I can get...

I have my "Mr. President" game, a presidency simulator with over 600k installs on Google Play alone - plus some little more on iOS. And it was voted 'the 4th best game of 2016' over on SlideDB.

Too bad the game was most successful here in Brazil. It's ad based and Brazilian ads pay next to nothing (Seriously: US and EU ads pay 5-8x more)

This year I've made a couple of educational games for a client (Made them with Pixi, not with Monkey/Cerberus) and although they didn't bring that much money (around $3k), it helped a lot.

My most successful game yet is Mahjong Max, which I've made with BlitzMax. Sold over 40k copies, but between portals %, US-taxes, Brazilian taxes (yes, I get double taxed here...) and everything else, I didn't see that much money off of it :(

oh, many great stories here. All is done with Monkey X or CX? Me I start my adventure with CX. I already installed in the past Monkey 2 but seeing that Community is not very active that time, I decided to switch to another tools. Now, is CX is a good tool for apps and games creation? Need to make decision...

My numbers: I got a Kickstarter funded back in 2016 for $17k and about 400 backers. Since then I've been plinking along in open development on itch.io, but have only had about 60 sales there total. I've applied for a few larger grants from the NSF and Dept of Ed (it's a science game) but am 0/2 on that so far.

Back
Top Bottom