• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Mac OSX install need help !

blockypixels

im trying this compiler on my Mac

I cant build the examples it says failed to create dir so sounds like the OS is blocking the dolder creation of the compiler

Also every time i start TED the settings like debug/release are reset back ti defaults each time I start TED , this is an unexceptable situation I would expect these to be saved not set up each time I use the editor, but I expect this is another permissions thingy.

Pleasd help guide me theough the pain of setting what was a very painful experience for Monkey X hopefully this will be easier.

Its a permission thing. One thing that should help quickly is moving the CX folder to the desktop if you don't mind.

As Mike said. I guess I have to play a bit with the permission stuff while creating the package...

Putting the Application folder on the desktop ? Not going to happen its a Mac not Windows PC ! The applications are going to stay in the correct place !

You know im starting to get real curious about “The Game Makers” ex Dark-Basic might be worth a look I would rather pay $200 for something professionally made than a compiler that has to be ‘nutted out’ how to get it to work im sick of trying to get this stuff to work each time its a real bad point about this compiler.

I doubt it works with the latest OSX as monkey X no longer functions correctly and thats abbandoned, NO WAY WOULD I HAVE SPENT MONEY ON MONKEY IF I KNEW IT WAS MONTHS AWAY FROM BEING AXED !!!! Grrrrrr

So now going foward I have two choices TGM or Mx2 , before I was just going to use only MonkeyX, cruerently im leaning towards looking into TGM.

NO WAY WOULD I HAVE SPENT MONEY ON MONKEY IF I KNEW IT WAS MONTHS AWAY FROM BEING AXED !!!! Grrrrrr

I understand the disappointment but noone on this board has anything to do with this. Actually the day I decided to actually start writing games and chose Monkey after evaluating many other libraries (SDL2/SFML/LibGDX/Java2D/LWJGL/Marmalade/Unity/Unreal etc) I found out that Monkey had died on a previous day but was being reincarnated as Cerberus-X. Well, what to say... Without disappointment you can't appreciate victory. Monkey is a very special framework and has its place in the current market, so let's pray for our contributors and fans :)

Im ok with Monkey X im going to try and keep solving the install !!!!

Im getting paid to write an app and I was using monkey x for this, its still good just an image issue , it just didnt go how I expected, I looked around for a compiler that I could stick with long term, found monkey paid money then before I got into it because of install issues being a real drag it was dropped, never mind.

Im down loading a trial version of AppGameKit hopefully it is continued development for a few useful years.

I want to pay for something thats painless to start using and I want to be able to count on continued development.

A minute of setup time , compiles super fast, very slick layout, im sold

How come Monkey products are sooooo tough to get running etc ?

With your temper and how you troll our place from the very beginning of your stay, I would tone down right away.

If AGK is the right tool for you, then that is awesome. Others and myself here use it too. Cerberus X has a different methology and we all are here to help each other. If you just want to troll, leave!

Putting the Application folder on the desktop ? Not going to happen its a Mac not Windows PC !
MonkeyX and Cerberus are completely relocatable. You can move the Ceberus/MonkeyX folder to anywhere within reason, that means anywhere that you have full permissions to access: the Application directory has restrictions for obvious reasons of security. Apple likes you to use their tools and the App-store, third party application authors either have to play by Apples rules, or keep on their toes for every change Apple makes to their operating systems or compiler tools, which is often on every new update.

How come Monkey products are sooooo tough to get running etc ?
Because MonkeyX/Cerberus allows you to modify the underlying framework while many other tools will have pre-compiled libraries. This makes such tools faster and easier to install, but restricts you to the environment that it was compiled for and the authors implementation of the build environment. That mean any changes to the devices API requires an up date to the tools you use.

MonkeyX/Cerberus on the other hand will allow you to completely recompile the lot, this means that it will require additional software libraries and compiler tools. This then makes it no different from using any other standard compiler tool chain for example MinGW or Visual Studio.

Martin and Mike have taken on the task of keeping MonkeyX (now Cerberus) alive and its a big job. Because not only do they have to keep up to date with the latest development in the supported devices, but they also have to fix a lot of things that the original author never bothered to fix or implement in the first place (that's why many but die hard's have all abandoned moving to the authors next project).

Martin and Mike will more likely be doing all the fixes and improvements in their spare time.

I have seen a post or two over on the old MonkeyX site, where those that never fully understood the concepts of MonkeyX, actively encouraged those with little or no experience in programming to use it. Any real programming requires you to not only understand the language, but also the hardware, the operating system and any development kits.

Last edited:
dawlane nailed it. Monkey aka cerberus is for guys who know what they're doing and want to have maximum flexibility where easy to use tools like AGK are often easier to use but are impossible to enhance that easily as you never get the target project in a native way.

It depends what you prefer.

Monkey aka cerberus is for guys who know what they're doing
Well that's me buggered then. :)
Some days I haven't got a clue.

Yes we need to make it more easy.
Not sure exactly how that could be achieved easily, other than bundling SDK's and tool chains as part of an installer package and then having to deal with license issues, file size, update maintenance etc.

I think your suggested tool that downloads everything and installs the sdks would be a good start. Jungle had something like this I think. So it should be possible.

Yes Jungle had this ability, but how well it worked I will never know as I never needed to use it. The problem with these types of tools is in the maintenance of keeping every thing up to date. Most just download, install and then leave it up to the end use to do all the maintenance, which never really happens. This can be a real issue if such SDK's require system wide paths settings to work, think JAVA and the JAVA_HOME system variable and security.

The Cerberus launcher it's self could be used to implement this kind of functionality.
The launchers first run checks that the SDK's it needs are installed, asks if you want to install them, downloads, installs and stores its setting somewhere.

The next time it's runs, it checks it's settings and if the user requested not to install it can skip the update check from a server.

Last edited:
All these ideas may be great, but a clear plan of action would be need to sort out priorities of what needs to be done and in what order, i.e. do you start with fixing all the broken bits that Mark left, improving the build environment, or do you focus on the installer.

Back
Top Bottom