• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Advice coming from BB/BB3D

Paul59

CX Code Contributor
A long time ago I used BB and BB3D quite a lot but followed a different path once BlitzMax arrived. So what's the deal with Cerberus X versus Monkey versus Monkey 2 in a nutshell?

Also, do I ignore mojo in Cerberus X and just use mojo 2 - if so will programs written with Monkey/mojo in mind run without modification? It's a confusing place out there! :D

Hi Paul, welcome on board.

Cerberus X is the continuation of Monkey X. We have fixed bugs, added new features, added new targets etc.
I can't tell you the difference to the current Monkey2 as I don't follow its progress.

The biggest difference to BB is that with CX you can code and deploy your apps to other platforms than Windows.
And that is has OOP features in its language. To deploy to other platforms like Android you might need to install extra toolsets and SDKs.
With BB you get everything in one installment and you are ready to go. With CX the only platform you can use right of the box is HTML5.

The API of CX comes in the form of modules. Some are shipped with CX, some you can download from the net so can get extra functionalities.

Regarding mojo2.... no it isn't compatible with mojo regarding the render stuff. If you can live without shaders, then I would say use mojo as it is easier to get grasp of it.

@Holzchopf is enhancing the docs currently, which will be better structured to find the info you might need.

Cheers
Michael

Hi Paul, welcome on board.

...With CX the only platform you can use right of the box is HTML5.

The API of CX comes in the form of modules. Some are shipped with CX, some you can download from the net so can get extra functionalities.

Regarding mojo2.... no it isn't compatible with mojo regarding the render stuff. If you can live without shaders, then I would say use mojo as it is easier to get grasp of it.

Cheers
Michael

Thanks Michael. I downloaded CX and see I can build HTML5, Glfw3 etc out of the box so I take it some of the modules you mention are included in the download by default? I'm on Linux these days (no Windows since XP days) so can I build apps for Windows and Linux as well as HTML5?

I've had a quick look at some of the mojo2 examples and they don't look too bad (other than the weird look of some function parameters not in parentheses!) why do you think mojo is easier to grasp? I've been using Java, Haxe and Lua since BB...

Also does the .cxs versus .monkey file extension matter?

So many questions, sorry :D

On Linux you are able to build for html5, linux desktop and Android if you install Android Studio.

I find mojo easier on the beginner but you seem to have more experience. Mojo2 is just fine. I created a mojo2 based framework called fantomCX. It sits on top of mojo2. Basically a little engine for 2d games.

Is it only possible to build Windows executables from a Windows install of CX then?

Back
Top Bottom