Circle to Circle Collisions?

MikeHart

Administrator
Look into fantomCX, there is a bunch of collision methods in one module. Sorry not at my comp. Let me know if you find it.

MikeHart

Administrator
Did you found it? Here is one that just relies on the parameters:

Cerberus X:
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Function Coll_Circle2Circle:Bool(x1:Float, y1:Float, radius1:float, x2:Float, y2:Float, radius2:float)
    Local xf:Float
    Local yf:Float
    Local rf:Float

xf = x1 - x2
    xf *= xf
    yf = y1 - y2
    yf *= yf
    rf = radius1 + radius2
    rf *= rf
    If (xf+yf) < rf Then Return True
    Return False
End

SLotman

Circle-circle is easy: just get the distance between the center of both circles (using Pythagora's Theorem) and see if it's equal or smaller then the sum of the radius (radi?) of both spheres.

Once you know/understand that, you can write that function above with your eyes closed ;)

Gerry Quinn

Circle-circle is easy: just get the distance between the center of both circles (using Pythagora's Theorem) and see if it's equal or smaller then the sum of the radius (radi?) of both spheres.

Once you know/understand that, you can write that function above with your eyes closed ;)

You don't need to take the square root, though, unless you want the actual distance. Comparing the squared distances is enough to test for a collision, and if your objects are mostly the same size or of a fixed size you can have the square of the sum of radii as a known value or a constant.

(Not so much a problem these days, but there was a time when sqrt() was expensive...)

SLotman

You don't need to take the square root
I know, it's a common optimization for that - the other one being xdiff = x2-x1; xdiff*=xdiff to avoid pow(2) ;)

If you want the ultimate speed, you can use the radii to build squares and do an AABB collision first, which doesn't involve any multiplication - and only test if the circles collide if the rects are colliding first ;)

Or you can even go crazy and do a quadtree on screen and test only the objects in the same quadrant as the player ^_^
(Those two of course are only necessary if you have tons of objects and collisions going on!)

Gerry Quinn

Yeah, I always do the multiply, can't bring myself not to. I try to train myself not to care about speed when it doesn't matter, but sometimes leaving out the obvious optimisation seems unbearable. Even in the GUI...

SLotman

I do it too! Sometimes I'm even worse, because my first computer, an MSX, had a Z80 as CPU, which doesn't have multiplication or division opcodes. So, whenever its possible you'll see me using bit shifting to multiply or divide ;)

BAD dinossaur, bad!! :D

Top Bottom