• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Downloads stats and Poll of dev platform

Which platform are you developing on?

• Windows

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • macOS

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm on Windows, targetting Windows but also Android and iOS for some apps, and I'd like to make MacOS versions of my apps again too.

My dev platform is Windows and my target platform is Windows and HTML5.
But because of the recent announcement from Apple I am seriously considering to switch to Mac for development platform and maybe get my feet wet in developing iOS apps too. But Windows and HTML5 is definitely remain my primary target platforms.

I develop on Windows and target Win/OSX/Linux/HTML5. Here are my download counts on itch for CL:

itch_download_counts.png

I also have 634 in-browser plays for HTML5.

(The vast majority of these downloads came in the last two weeks via the racial justice bundle.)

Edit: and if it helps, I use the cerberus port of Jungle IDE.

Develop on Windows, target Android and win

I develop on macOS, and am targeting Android and iOS.

Also targeting HTML5 sometimes.

I develop on macOS and target Desktops [Win, Mac, Linux] and HTML5

I develop on Windows and target Android, HTML5 and Desktop (Windows)

Thanks to anyone who voted AND posted.

Your input is very valuable during these times of decisions.

I develop on Windows and sometimes on Linux and I am targeting Html5, Desktop (Win, Linux) and Android. For MacOs and iOs I just don't have the hardware.

Thought I'd posted. I use Windows and develop for Android. Although I'm looking into html5 and desktop...

Thank you all for participating. Besides the platform you develop on, I have asked about the platforms you target. Here are the results
  1. Windows -> 10
  2. HTML5 -> 9
  3. Android -> 6
  4. Linux -> 3
  5. OSX -> 3
  6. iOS -> 2
Combined with the download stats, it is pretty clear where the market for CX is atm. I am surprised by the lack of targeting on the Apple platforms. But I am also surprised that many of you still target mobile with Android.

Conclusion anyone.... mmh o_O

If I still had a Mac I would target Apple platforms for sure, many people are using Apple hardware and nothing else and I'd like them to be able to use my products.

I know at last 4 more people that targets iOS and I'm gonna target iOS myself in the future but I'm focusing on Android right now.

Also I'm sure that when Cerberus-X gain even more population that Apple macOS developers wants to skip to CX from Xcode whenever they can.

many people are using Apple hardware and nothing else and I'd like them to be able to use my products.
Same here. I guess the hurdles with Apple are also represented in the poll numbers. With android you don't even need to own a device for developing for it. For Apple you have a substantial fee to pay. And last but not least all posts I read about publishing for MacOs or iOs are full of complaints about difficulties to get their app up on the marketplace.

Conclusion anyone.... mmh

Yes, the reason I don't currently target macOS and iOS is that I don't currently have the hardware. But I'm planning to get one within few months. I also need to agree on that Mac users at some point do look in to Swift, in-fact even though I don't have the hardware I did watch Swift tutorials and it is actually looks pretty nice. Apple also develop a decent game and UI and AR framework for Swift that all seamlessly integrate with each other and supposedly works on all Apple hardware even the tv and watch. Also judging from youtube videos it seems xCode even provide some sort of basic level and UI editing functionality as well when using these frameworks(?). It is seriously looks decent if you want to target Apple hardware and once I get a Mac I'm definitely going to look in to this. So to be honest I may not going to use Cerberus for targeting Apple hardware because Swift is native and I can use all those awesome frameworks from Apple. And who knows maybe one day it is going to be the only option Apple accept. Even though this poll indicate people are not using and target Apple platform but maybe all it means people don't use cross-platform tech like Cerberus and AGK and uses Swift and those Swift game and UI frameworks? If that is the case it could be useful maybe to export to Swift and be able to use those Swift frameworks. While I was searching the web for info about Swift and iOS dev,I did see that many people are actually looking for Swift game frameworks and engines but there is none except the one Apple is making which is pretty good actually but I guess people interested in other options too. So maybe worth considering despite the result of this poll to target Swift from Cerberus....I really don't know. But I do know that for HTML5 and Windows desktop I definitely stick with Cerberus.

The reason I don't target Android is because it is way too fragmented, there is a billion different device running a different version of Android on a billion different hardware configurations. I did look in to Android dev once and could not make anything that was able to run on all Androdi device I had available. Something was always break or mis-function. Also I bought my phone about 4 years ago for $300 and I received no updates since, it is still running the same version of Android like 4 years ago. It is the main reason why people are using older versions of the OS and It is actually the reason why I am excited about the Apple ecosystem. All iOS devices running the same version of the OS even very old ones cost only $300 today runs the same OS like the latest device cost $1000 and all the recent devices SE 2020, X, XR, 11, 11 Pro using the same chipset even the iPads only the storage, camera, screen and battery is different so it is a whole lot more simple to target Apple hardware than Android hardware because there is less software versions and hardware configurations to worry about. And then there is that also Macs going to run on the same chipset which is seriously blow my mind. It is just crazy.

So at this moment it is very unlikely I'm ever going to target Android and very open to the possibility to may even target Apple hardware only in the future, I don't have the hardware atm but I am planning to getting one in the next few months.

Last edited:
Conclusion anyone.... mmh o_O
Biggest conclusion for now is to not trust polls! But, seriously, the draw of CX is the cross platform targets, that is the Holy Grail of many development systems out there and what initially drew me to CX. If CX only supported Windows and HTML5 that would seem to cover the majority of the poll respondents needs but would be a real loss for the minorities :) Maybe your FNA idea has some merit in this context?

Back
Top Bottom