How to make money with my CX efforts?

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks,
do you have an idea how i could commercialize my efforts for CX? CX is oss so i am looking for ways to make money from this work i put into it.
Any idea?
Cheers
Michael

Paul59

Nothing springs to mind I'm afraid but I don't blame you for thinking about some financial reward, you are putting in some work after all.

Phil7

Even if some people here are willing to pay for some things, ongoing commercial income can only be generated with a bigger userbase.
So keep up the great work to make it look a bit more polished and then let's show it to the masses. :cool:

Last edited:

rickychus

Hi folks,
do you have an idea how i could commercialize my efforts for CX? CX is oss so i am looking for ways to make money from this work i put into it.
Any idea?
Cheers
Michael
I have no experience with platforms, and it was a fact that I was going to ask/suggest this.
Is there a post on Steam or similar platforms to PROMOTE CerberusX?
I do not know if this is a positive suggestion, I hope it is, and this will take you along the path you are wanting.

Holzchopf

Staff member
How about making money with your IDE? Or maybe enhanced GUI / GFX / Physics engines that don't come with standard CX. I know; all this requires a lot of effort to be put in before even getting to the point where a return is possible. But unfortunately I don't see any possibility to turn the existing CX into a money machine :confused:

Pierrou

For some reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of active CerberusX users. I've been backing Monkey2 for years without ever using it and I could drop a few € each month for CerberusX but that wouldn't make a big income. I remember how happy I was 10 years ago when I discovered Blitzmax and was able to start using it for just 80$ or something like that. I paid again for MonkeyX, JungleIDE, IgnitionX and Pyro, it felt right to do so, but Mark, Manel or Tony probably couldn't make a living out of selling a few licences here and there, and they moved on. Users like Ryan Clark, Frederick Raynal, Raph Koster or Simon Read don't seem to be on board anymore but can't they be reached to "endorse" CerberusX (I guess they won't but...?)

Unfortunately like everyone here I don't have any idea. The product itself is fine, I don't know why so few potential customers use it these days.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
Unity, Unreal and now Godot dominate the Market. That is for sure. But they all embrace the visual game development a lot by providing at least some kind of world editing. They all need scripting/coding, there is no way around it.
Same goes for Gamemaker Studio and Construct. The last 2 are commercial. In the code only section i see AppGameKit as the biggest competitor. But TGC also goes a more visual route now with AGK Studio. Implementing at least a scene editor.

They all have different advantages. But with they visual approach they attract even non coders or beginners.

Am i wrong that this visual approach is the big factor here?

Pierrou

What happened to all the casual/wannabe coders in their mid-30's>50's who grew up discovering coding with Basic/Basic-like languages and dreaming of being able to code something valuable someday? Discovering Blitzmax in 2009 was a dream come true for me. Don't those people like writing lines of code and seeing what happens anymore?

dawlane

CX Code Contributor
Cerberus at heart, is a programming language compiler/translator. A very restrictive programming language compiler/translator at that. You need to be a serious coder to expand it and have knowledge of a number of third party frameworks, programming languages and their associated compiler tool chains, as well as have the target devices. It doesn't help that when the MonkeyX code was released, there are no usable comments for someone to at least work out how it's all suppose to work.

In this day and age, people want tools where they can get reasonable results for little effort, so the only way to do this with what there currently is would be to:
  • Fix the flaws and add the missing elements such as decent collision detection to the original modules
    • Or implement a completely new set of module from scratch or using a third party library such as Urho3D that only target Desktops(Window, Mac and Linux), Android, iOS and HTML5.
  • Integrate into the IDE visual tools for world editing and asset management.
MonkeyX's major failing is that Mark's audience wanted it to be BlitzMax, then there were those that weren't happy that BliztMax wasn't Blitz3D.

Last edited:

Paul59

I've used Godot a little, impressive package but takes longer to do things IMHO and adds constraints that have to be worked around. I've also briefly used Defold which is pretty similar but Lua based. The nearest 'competitor' to CX is probably Love2D which I've used fairly extensively (also Lua-based).

Paul59

I've still got all my BB and B3D code, some of the former is nearly 20 years old now!

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
Same here. And my code from my days with

3D GameStudio
IBasic Pro
ThinBasic
Corona SDK
Gideros Mobile

With all these languages, I wrote more libs/tools/docs for them, then actual games. Guess I am more of a support aka tool developer then anything else. :)

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
In this day and age, people want tools were they can get reasonable results for little effort, so the only way to do this with what there currently is would be to:
  • Fix the flaws and add the missing elements such as decent collision detection to the original modules
    • Or implement a completely new set of module from scratch or using a third party library such as Urho3D that only target Desktops(Window, Mac and Linux), Android, iOS and HTML5.
  • Integrate into the IDE visual tools for world editing and asset management.
Yes, that is why I always try to make it more easy for the user.

Last edited:

Paul59

Same here. And my code from my days with

3D GameStudio
IBasic Pro
ThinBasic
Corona SDK
Gideros Mobile
I've also got some Pascal and C stuff from the early 90s but sadly none of my ZX81, Dragon 32 or CPC464 programs from the previous decade LOL.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
I've also got some Pascal and C stuff from the early 90s but sadly none of my ZX81, Dragon 32 or CPC464 programs from the previous decade LOL.
Ah, I fogort my Delphi/Lazarus days. Delphi was the best tool.

@c0d3r9 brought this idea up in a PM, which I think is interesting:
An all in one package without the need to install anything extra. Including a good IDE with extra tools are the main tool.
Similar to B3D. So people can concentrate developing games and not fiddle with SDK configurations. He mentioned to support as less targets as possible. CX is not going forward much because it has to support so many targets.

Crossplatform is great but supporting it as a tool dev is crazy. That reminds me that Google is changing the Admob SDK again!

Rob Hewitt

From my point of view I use Cerberus X because it has Android support.

I got stung as I paid for Monkey X about a week before Mark ditched it. I'd be gutted if Android support was dropped as the other options aren't suited to my way of coding.

magic

3rd Party Tool Dev
In my observation, If one wants to get involved in one solution, they know they need to learn everything. This need their time and effort. Of course they want solutions that are almost identical to what they already know. Most of them were introduced to game programming via Unity from various sources. So the use of visual editor is very meaningful to them. Therefore many competitor to Unity try hard to create better visual editor.

Users also think about the survival of the solution. Something temporary is not good for them, if that solution stops they need to learn another one. So they look for popular and establish one (many people use it). Active forums to ask questions easily. Many examples available from the net. That solution must also have many features for today's problems. I think this is what users want.

Furthermore, advertisements takes an important role nowadays. They are popular because they advertise a lot. They have a budget.

For me, I do not like making games using Visual Editor. I think this kind of works need a lot of time. If possible all thing I want to do in coding. Level auto generate and many other thing generate by code, because I'm inde and time is my enemy. So far I love the MonkeyX/CerberusX way.

Paul59

An all in one package without the need to install anything extra. Including a good IDE with extra tools are the main tool.
Similar to B3D. So people can concentrate developing games and not fiddle with SDK configurations. He mentioned to support as less targets as possible. CX is not going forward much because it has to support so many targets.

Crossplatform is great but supporting it as a tool dev is crazy...
So what are your thoughts Mike, are you planning to narrow the focus and maybe stick to Windows as the dev platform?

Top Bottom