My DevLog - Update 2019/06/24

dawlane

CX Code Contributor
Huu, sorry I thought there was talk about the importance of using linux and the compatibility or support for this platform.
The topic is a development log on the projects that Mike is currently working on. Some topics do have a tendency go off topic.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
@rickychus : No problem. I was ranting about Linux and I have no problems that people chime in and talk about their experience with Linux.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
V2019-05-05 is out and creating a Linux build went well. I hope i fixed the reapeared retina bug in OSX but without a retina display, it is hard to tell.

The next 2 weeks i want to concentrate on as many bug fixes as possible. Then create a new distribution.

After that i will get back to Hades to bring it to a state where you guys can test its performance.

If this goes well, then i think it is time to work on some kind of version 2 of CX. Some members and i had good discussions about this topic in the beginning of the year. It clearly showed that everyone has different oppinions and preferences. But i expected it that way.
Besides tyding up some language features, i want the build process to be separated from trans. This way i envision that you could plug in new targets without the need to recompile trans. I have some more plans as well but i better talk about this another time.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
When i see the open bugs, i think i should concentrate on that till there is non left.
At least i have a clear list what to work on, lol.
So don't expect many new features, if any at all.

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
Time for another update. Daily life and work took a toll on me in the last three weeks. At work the aircondition was broken. We sit in a building that is covered in glass. So even with normal temperatures outside, a little sun heads up the building quite fast. As we can't open windows we had to work at 28-30 degrees celcius each day. That was torture.
Thank good they fixed it on friday afternoon.

Regarding CX i was able to enhance TRANS to copy an existing icon.ico file and use it when building an exe. Have to extend that to osx too. And other platforms as well. The optimal thing would be that the user provides just a PNG file and trans takes care of the target icons.

Next problem i will tackle is the 64bit lib problem on Android. I was hoping someone from the community would share their solution but sadly no.

After that it will be a new release.

One thing you can be sure about is that there will be always something to work on in CX. One days Apple will cut off support for OpenGL and then i have to come up with a solution. And it is more sensible not to wait till the last day. I would not count on MoltenVK to be a solution for anything on Apple. Better to support Metal directly.

I also would love to work on more examples. But then, there is so much else that needs to be worked on. Definitely a fulltime job. If i could.

Anyway, the development of CX is not dead.

Cheers
Michael

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
I took a small break from CX and study other things. Coming back to it i will concentrate on bug fixes. So just a reminder for myself...

Regarding the 64bit Android issue, i guess i have to publish my game to be able to see what is behind those errors that someone else got from his users. He didn't let me know how exactly he had created his libs, so i have to try myself and see myself.

The 64bit launcher issue on OSX is settled. That was easy with the help of Bmax-NG.
But more Apple trouble is looming, as they will drop support for OpenGL/ES at one point. Maybe in fall with the next release of OSX, maybe next year. Ouch. Writing a Metal2 renderer can be fun. :)

On both mobile platforms CX calls depreciated methods which should be replaced with official supported ones.

The colorization and auto casing in Ted needs to be recoded. As of the nature of the CX language, at least you have to look at the previous and also the following token to really see what you have to do with a token.
Only looking at the previous token is implemented, but that is not enough.

Anyone up for the job? Juuust kiddin' :)

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
A before i forget. I had asked Martin to move CX to my itch.io account. He never did it. So i am giving up on this idea.

Holzchopf

Staff member
Good luck with the Android issue. No, I didn't look into that. I just really wish you luck for finding a solution so I can then make use of it ;-)

Phil7

3rd Party Tool Dev
I had asked Martin to move CX to my itch.io account
What you do for CX is definitely entitling you for having it on your account. I can only guess Martin was just too short of time to do this little stuff. Couldn't you just set up a new Cerberus X and then ask Martin to delete the one on his account?
The same goes for the GitHub repository!?

MikeHart

Administrator
Staff member
I can delete it there myself as i have admin rights. But i wanted a clean move. Guess your suggestion is what is needed.

Top Bottom