• Dear Cerberus X User!

As we prepare to transition the forum ownership from Mike to Phil (TripleHead GmbH), we need your explicit consent to transfer your user data in accordance with our amended Terms and Rules in order to be compliant with data protection laws.

Important: If you accept the amended Terms and Rules, you agree to the transfer of your user data to the future forum owner!

Please read the new Terms and Rules below, check the box to agree, and click "Accept" to continue enjoying your Cerberus X Forum experience. The deadline for consent is April 5, 2024.

Do not accept the amended Terms and Rules if you do not wish your personal data to be transferred to the future forum owner!

Accepting ensures:

- Continued access to your account with a short break for the actual transfer.

- Retention of your data under the same terms.

Without consent:

- You don't have further access to your forum user account.

- Your account and personal data will be deleted after April 5, 2024.

- Public posts remain, but usernames indicating real identity will be anonymized. If you disagree with a fictitious name you have the option to contact us so we can find a name that is acceptable to you.

We hope to keep you in our community and see you on the forum soon!

All the best

Your Cerberus X Team

Tools for pixel art

Arantor

What do people use for pixel art?

If you saw my thread in DevLog you'd see some pixel art that was mostly drawn by my partner in PS and carefully made to look pixelly even though it wasn't really drawn as pixel art. Some of it was drawn by me in GIMP.

Are there any good pixel art editors that aren't GIMP?

What do people use for pixel art?

If you saw my thread in DevLog you'd see some pixel art that was mostly drawn by my partner in PS and carefully made to look pixelly even though it wasn't really drawn as pixel art. Some of it was drawn by me in GIMP.

Are there any good pixel art editors that aren't GIMP?
I still use DPaintv IV and PPaint under amiga emulation for pixel drawing!

<3 DPaint IV - the stencilling and perspective features are still missing in modern applications!

Never got into PPaint, though.

I feel like a Cerberus DPaint port wouldn't be the worst thing in the universe... but that will also distract me from trying to make Undaunted haha

My favorites:
  • Pro Motion NG (One of the best. Unfortunately Windows only. Indexed color system without true color support is both a blessing and a curse.)
  • Aseprite (Everybody's sweetheart.)
  • PyxelEdit (Best for tile production imho. It's an Adobe Air app and it feels like a bit slow.)
  • PixelMash (A very different take on pixel editing. Not complete but still useful)

For others: Lospec - Pixel Art Software List

I am not much of an artist but usually I use Piskel for my very simplistic pixel arts. The cool thing about is that it can also run online in the browser and since I am also often use a Chromebook, it comes very handy when creativity hit me in Chrome times. But you can also download a desktop version of course.

For vector graphics I use Inkscape this is what I use more often because for someone like me it is feel more natural to draw shapes and manipulate them instead of drawing pixel by pixel. I know it is not the best but free and cross-platform.

I also once purchased Hexels because it is seems very simple to draw very complex graphics with the help of the different "hexels" but to be honest could not get the hang of it. With this tool you need to think out of the box a little.

Mmh were do i start.
For drawing i say Clip Studio Paint. For pixel art i use PyxelEdit. Vector stuff Inkscape or lately Affinity Designer. Blender for 3D.

I mainly use TVPaint for pixelart but I've also began to use Krita for pixelart lately.

+1 for Piskel, it's great.

I also use an old version of Paint Shop Pro (7), it was *very* good before it was acquired by Corel :p
(But it is a little temperamental under Windows 10)

I can't use GIMP, at all. I have it installed, use it sometimes to try to convert between some images formats, but that's it. It feels too 'clunky' for me. And I don't like Photoshop either ^_^

Back
Top Bottom